Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Moment of Frustrated Truth


I will first apologize for the radio silence that has happened in the last two or so weeks.

I apologize.

With the whole..."working two jobs thing after spending the summer staying up too late and not working much" has thrown me into a kerfuffle. Meaning I'm tired....again. After finally catching up on sleep. That...and my birthday was last friday. YAY birthday. 

This past week however was harder on the heart than it ought. Which bring to this story of a little one at the park who was elbowed in the heart yesterday. I luckily didn't laugh outrageously out loud. However the father and I bonded over the irony that was laced in her tale of woe somewhere. A short story or film even. 

Anyways, starting from Monday, I have gradually noticed that March has been having the worst kind of attitude shift. To the point where I had to have a conversation with him about what it means to be nice, to be mean, to demand things from people and the whole shebang. I tried to take into account that his dad (Daddy Camera) was planning to leaving the state for a few months on a new film project. And that little boys have random hormone developments at around age 6/7. But I have to say...this is beyond just 'boys being boys'. It got to the point were I had to have a conversation with March about his behavior and he got really upset with me when I explained to him what being nice really means to people, what being rude, and other things like entitlement. He had his moment of stomping off and didn't want to speak to me and I said okay. Go for it. You have the right to be angry, but take a moment to realize what I just told you.

So loe and behold, when Producer Lady came back, I explained to her what happened. Apparently....she doesn't do that type of discipline. (I know...here we go again...). That type of discipline? You mean the one where you talk to your child as if he is 20 as you do? Okay...so I can't do time-outs, and talking to them is discipline. I was clearly frustrated and disheartened because I have no direction to go with this kid. 

When I got home my roommates could tell something was up and I told them all the things that had happened- from him saying racist comments about random people, and myself (which TRUST me...I nipped in the bud REAL fast) to just being really rude and entitled, and Big Red said something to me that I hadn't thought about. Essentially, she told me that it sounds like March's parents want a babysitter/nanny/care-giver who isn't quite concerned about how their child development in the long term sense. And you know what...she might be right. I get so worried about how March's behavior now will get him into some serious pickles in the future, and...maybe I shouldn't. But then what kind of person am I then????

No comments:

Post a Comment